One of my gotta get dinner on the table fast meals is vegan/vegetarian tacos. They are always a hit with my kids! I love how you can use whatever veggies you have on hand and create a super fast meal. I cook up the veggie “meat” and always add black beans to it because it’s my kids favourite bean. As far as toppings go I use whatever I have in the fridge. I’ve made it using just the “meat” & beans along with chopped bell peppers, mushrooms and cherry tomatoes like pictured below. Other times I add in spinach or other mixed greens, corn and sliced avocado. Top it with a little hot sauce or taco sauce to give it a kick if you like and your cheese of choice. I don’t always top my tacos with “cheese” but if I do then I use a bit of daiya cheese. My kids eat their tacos vegetarian style and use regular cheese because they are not fans of faux cheese at all. As far as the veggie meat goes I try not using it very often because soy is one of the biggest foods genetically modified. When I do buy it I try to get organic when possible for a little piece of mind.
Dinner Rush Tacos!
You will need:
- 1 package of tortilla wraps (I use the small size)
- 1 package of veggie ground round/veggie “meat”
- Spices and herbs of choice. I use paprika, oregano, chili powder, Himalayan pink salt and black pepper.
- Veggies of choice, bell peppers, greens, tomato, etc.
- 2 – 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup water
- A couple tbsp.’s of olive oil
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed very well.
- 1 large frying pan
- Heat olive oil in frying pan and add in garlic and sauté it for a minute on medium heat.
- Add your veggie “meat” into the pan and crumble it up.
- Next toss in your spices & herbs of choice as well as the black beans.
- Give it a good mix and sauté for about 5 minutes on a medium heat.
- Add 1 cup of water and combine well. Cook for about 15 minutes until most of the liquid has been absorbed and your beans are softened.
* You can either add in veggies such as bell peppers & mushrooms to your meat & bean mixture and slightly cook them up or serve them raw in your taco*
- Grab a tortilla wrap and add some of the meat & bean mixture to it and add your veggies of choice.
- Top with cheese and taco or hot sauce if desired.
- DONE!!! Dinner is served! 🙂
Yep it’s pretty much the easiest meal to whip together which is perfect for rushed dinner times!