My kids are really picky and I’ve made many chocolate muffins but this is the favourite in my house! So now that I created a recipe that’s finally a hit with everyone I’m sticking to it! No more playing around with ingredients anymore when it comes to chocolate muffins/cupcakes in my house! LOL These muffins are really fast to make and have very simple ingredients. Sometimes the simpler recipes create the best outcome!
I want to mention that depending on the flour that you choose to use you may need to use a little more milk in the recipe. If you find it a little too dry then add 1 tbsp. more milk at a time. I tried to cut the sugar down in my recipe but that didn’t work out so well with my taste testing crew over here. Ugh! So it’s best to use 1/2 cup for best results. In order to make myself feel better I only add a few mini chocolate chips on top of each muffin instead of adding them into the batter. I cut down on sugar in that sense and the kids didn’t notice. Hey sometimes you have to be a little sneaky if it’s for their best interest right? 🙂
Here is my super easy and kid approved recipe …
CHOCOLATE MUFFINS WITH MINI CHIPS
* Makes 12 Muffins*
- 1 1/2 cups flour, I usually use brown rice flour or spelt flour. I’ve also used a mix of regular unbleached flour and brown rice flour and it worked really well.
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/3 cup veggie or coconut oil
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder, you can add more if you like a stronger chocolate taste.
- 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp. flaxmeal
- 6 tbsp. water
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk. Depending on the type of flour you use you may need up to 1/4 cup extra as some flours draw in the moisture more than others.
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- Handful of vegan mini chocolate chips
You will need:
- 3 mixing bowls: 1 large, 1 medium & 1 small
- 1 muffin tin (for 12 muffins)
- 12 paper muffin liners
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- Add your flaxmeal to a small bowl and add 6 tbsp. of water to it. Mix and set aside for a few minutes until it thickens up a bit.
- Line your muffin tin with paper liners.
- Add flour, baking powder, cocoa and sugar into the large bowl and combine well.
- In your medium-sized bowl add milk, oil, vanilla and flaxmeal mixture. Mix well.
- Add your wet ingredients into your dry ingredients and combine. Don’t over mix. Add in a little extra milk if needed.
- Scoop up the batter and fill up your muffin tin.
- Top each muffin with some vegan chocolate chips.
- Pop them into the oven for 20 minutes.
- Once baked allow to cool off in the muffin tin. Transfer to an air tight container.
* If you wanted to make cupcakes with this recipe then just add the mini chips to the batter instead. Once baked allow them to cool off completely and then ice them. Place them in the fridge for a bit to allow your icing to set nicely*
Banana Chocolate Chip Cake!
Almost every week I make banana chocolate chip muffins because they are my kids favourite type of muffin. It get’s kinda boring sometimes so I sometimes make a banana chocolate chip cake instead. Hey why not switch it up a little? Right? We go through a lot of bananas at my house! That’s ok though because these energy powerhouses have many health benefits such as containing potassium, fiber, vitamin C, B Vitamins, iron, they are a mood enhancer, and are good for the heart and nerves. I incorporate bananas in a variety of ways from my morning smoothies, muffins, and in hot breakfast cereals and oatmeal. 🙂
Here is my super easy recipe for Banana Chocolate Chip cake …
Banana Chocolate Chip Cake
You will need:
- 3 medium-sized bananas
- 1/4 cup coconut or sucanat sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup mini vegan chocolate chips, or regular sized vegan chips
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Preheat your oven to 400 F
- Mash your bananas in a medium-sized bowl.
- Add the coconut oil and sugar to the mashed bananas.
- Next add the vanilla extract and give it a good mix.
- In a large bowl add the brown rice flour and baking powder and mix well. I use a fork to make sure my baking powder is incorporated well.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry and also add in the almond milk into the bowl.
- Combine well and add the vegan chocolate chips to the mixture.
- Grease a baking pan with coconut oil and add the mixture into the dish. Even it out and pop it into the oven.
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes, ovens vary.
- Once baked allow the cake to cool completely before slicing it!
That’s it! Very easy and fast to make!
One of my favourite things to whip up are these easy to make Banana Oat Breakfast Bites!!! Many people make similar cookie versions to this recipe but the great thing is that everyone can make it their own way using ingredients that work for them. The great thing about this recipe is that you can tailor it to your own tastes and preferences! I find that they are a great idea for a fast breakfast when you’re in a hurry which really saves time. Have them with a healthy green smoothie and your good to go! I always have organic bananas on hand as well as oats so this recipe is made very often in my home. I also add dried sulfate free cranberries and walnuts sometimes too. The recipe I’m posting will be this version. 🙂 My kids like my vegan chocolate chip version best of course but then they are a treat and no longer a super healthy breakfast bite! LOL You can also make them into cookies if you want but I like making mine smaller so that’s why I call them “bites”. I find that they are the perfect size to pop into a little container and pack them into a lunchbox or throw into a purse. They are a great on the go healthy snack. I always make sure I have healthy snacks in my purse because I’m vegan and it’s not always easy to find healthy vegan snacks on the go. Hey non vegans you should definitely be trying to bring healthy homemade snacks with you so you’re not tempted to buy sugary & fat filled treats while your on the run too!
Banana Oat Breakfast Bites with Cranberries & walnuts
Healthy Breakfast Bites
- 2 regular sized Bananas
- 1 TBSP Cinnamon
- 2 cups Oats
- 1 1/2 tsp. pure Vanilla extract
- 1 TBSP Sulfate free Cranberries
- Handful of chopped Walnuts
- In a medium-sized bowl mash both bananas with a fork really well.
- Add the vanilla and mix.
- Throw in the 2 cups of Oats and the 1 TBSP of Cinnamon. Combine well.
- Now you can go ahead and add the cranberries and walnuts. Give it another good mix.
- Shape into small round balls and place on a lined cookie sheet. Flatten the balls down slightly with the back of a teaspoon.
- Pop them into the oven for 10 minutes. If you want to make them bigger or into cookies then they will bake between 12-14 minutes.
- After removing them from the oven let them cool down on the pan. Transfer them to an airtight container once they have cooled off.
Other Versions of my Banana Oat Breakfast Bites:
Vegan Chip: My kids favourite version has 1/3 cup vegan chocolate chips thrown into the banana and oat mixture. They are such a tasty treat!
Plain Banana & Oat: I also make these banana bites without adding any dry fruit and nuts and they turn out great as well. Simple and super fast!
Protein Boost: I also make a version of these breakfast bites with peanut or almond butter added to the oat mixture! YUM! Just add 2 TBSP nut butter to your mixture. Be sure to combine it well I bake them 10-12 minutes depending on their size. *I omit the cinnamon, chopped nuts and dried fruit for this version.*
Coconut & Almond: Toss in a handful of chopped almonds as your nut for these banana bites and instead of adding the cinnamon I throw in 1 TBSP of shredded coconut in it’s place.
*ENJOY your yummy & fast to make Banana Breakfast Bites! Have fun with them and try out different combinations to suit your needs*
*Makes 12-15 Banana Bites depending on their size*