My kids are really picky and I’ve made many chocolate muffins but this is the favourite in my house! So now that I created a recipe that’s finally a hit with everyone I’m sticking to it! No more playing around with ingredients anymore when it comes to chocolate muffins/cupcakes in my house! LOL These muffins are really fast to make and have very simple ingredients. Sometimes the simpler recipes create the best outcome!
I want to mention that depending on the flour that you choose to use you may need to use a little more milk in the recipe. If you find it a little too dry then add 1 tbsp. more milk at a time. I tried to cut the sugar down in my recipe but that didn’t work out so well with my taste testing crew over here. Ugh! So it’s best to use 1/2 cup for best results. In order to make myself feel better I only add a few mini chocolate chips on top of each muffin instead of adding them into the batter. I cut down on sugar in that sense and the kids didn’t notice. Hey sometimes you have to be a little sneaky if it’s for their best interest right? 🙂
Here is my super easy and kid approved recipe …
CHOCOLATE MUFFINS WITH MINI CHIPS
* Makes 12 Muffins*
- 1 1/2 cups flour, I usually use brown rice flour or spelt flour. I’ve also used a mix of regular unbleached flour and brown rice flour and it worked really well.
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/3 cup veggie or coconut oil
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder, you can add more if you like a stronger chocolate taste.
- 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp. flaxmeal
- 6 tbsp. water
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk. Depending on the type of flour you use you may need up to 1/4 cup extra as some flours draw in the moisture more than others.
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- Handful of vegan mini chocolate chips
You will need:
- 3 mixing bowls: 1 large, 1 medium & 1 small
- 1 muffin tin (for 12 muffins)
- 12 paper muffin liners
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- Add your flaxmeal to a small bowl and add 6 tbsp. of water to it. Mix and set aside for a few minutes until it thickens up a bit.
- Line your muffin tin with paper liners.
- Add flour, baking powder, cocoa and sugar into the large bowl and combine well.
- In your medium-sized bowl add milk, oil, vanilla and flaxmeal mixture. Mix well.
- Add your wet ingredients into your dry ingredients and combine. Don’t over mix. Add in a little extra milk if needed.
- Scoop up the batter and fill up your muffin tin.
- Top each muffin with some vegan chocolate chips.
- Pop them into the oven for 20 minutes.
- Once baked allow to cool off in the muffin tin. Transfer to an air tight container.
* If you wanted to make cupcakes with this recipe then just add the mini chips to the batter instead. Once baked allow them to cool off completely and then ice them. Place them in the fridge for a bit to allow your icing to set nicely*
2 thoughts on “Chocolate Muffins with Mini Chocolate Chips!”
Ohhh my, I will take two of these with my morning coffee please!
You can never have enough chocolate!!! 🙂