Healthy Blueberry Chia Muffins!
Mmmmmmm Blueberry Muffins!!!!! Healthy Blueberry muffins of course! 🙂 I make blueberry muffins often but usually use flaxmeal as my “eggs in my recipes. I played around with using Chia seeds as my “eggs” the last couple times I baked blueberry muffins. I love chia seeds and use them often in baking, smoothies and in my breakfasts. Chia seeds are a powerhouse of nutrition such as omega3 , protein, calcium and iron! They make me feel energized and they help me stay full longer so they are a staple in my kitchen. I use organic coconut oil in my muffins because I like the slight coconut taste it gives to the muffin and of course the health advantages but veggie oil can be substituted instead if needed. I usually use brown rice flour when I bake but I have also used spelt flour to make these muffins. Either way they turn out super yummy! As far as sugar goes I either use sucanat or coconut sugar in my baking. My kids prefer when I use the sucanat however. Anyway, as always this recipe is super easy to make!
Blueberry Chia Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups Flour ( I use brown rice flour or spelt flour)
- 1 TBSP Chia seeds
- 1/2 cup Water
- 3/4 cup Almond Milk
- 1/3 cup Coconut Oil
- 1 1/4 cup Blueberries
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup Sucanat or Coconut Sugar (I use 1/3 cup)
- 2 TSP Baking Powder
- pinch of Himalayan salt
- In a medium-sized bowl add 1 TBSP Chia seeds and 1/2 cup water to it. Mix and let it sit to thicken for 20-30 minutes. Give it a mix every now and then in that time period.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F
- In a large bowl add flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Mix well.
- Add the coconut oil and milk into the chia mixture. Combine well.
- Place the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Gently fold in the blueberries into the mixture.
7. Line the muffin tin with paper liners or grease the baking tin.
8. Fill the muffin tin evenly with the mixture and pop it into the preheated 400 F oven. Bake for about 20 – 25 minutes. I find that mine are done at 25 minutes but every oven varies.
9. Once baked let them cool off in the muffin tin or they can also transferred to a cooling rack to cool off. Place in an airtight container once they have cooled down.
Healthy and so simple to make … Enjoy!
*For a glimpse into my foodie life follow me on Instagram ~ VeganMommyDee and Twitter at MommyDeeOf3 🙂
I make my overnight spelt flakes/oats very often. It makes breakfast much easier in the morning when your in a rush! Instead of having to wait for your spelt flakes/oats to cook all you would have to do is heat them up! So fast & easy! I use medium-sized mason jars to make my overnight oats because I find it’s easier to heat up in the morning. Instead of transferring the mixture into a pot I just add the jar right into a small pot of boiling water for a couple of minutes. Sometimes I will scoop the warmed up spelt/oats into a bowl or a lot of times I eat it right from the jar! 🙂 You can’t get any easier than that right? In my recipe I use unsweetened milk, coconut shavings and almond butter because I want to keep everything sugar-free. I prefer not to add additional sugar other than the natural occurring sugar in the banana and optional berry or fruit topping. If you like things on the sweeter side you could use the sweetened coconut, milk and nut butter.
Coconut Overnight Spelt Flakes
You will need:
- 1/3 Cup Spelt Flakes or Old fashion Oats
- 1 1/4 cup Almond & Coconut unsweetened milk or milk of choice
- 1 TBSP Cinnamon
- 1 tsp of unsweetened sulfate free shredded coconut
- 1 TBSP Chia seeds
- 1 TBSP all natural unsweetened Almond Butter
- 1/3 cup berries or chopped fruit (optional)
- 1 medium-sized mashed banana
- 1 TBSP chopped walnuts
- Add 1/3 cup Spelt Flakes, Oats or a combination of both which is also really good.
- Mash 1 medium-sized banana with a fork in a small bowl.
- Throw in the 1 TBSP of cinnamon, chia seeds & 1 tsp shredded coconut.
- Add in the mashed banana and chopped walnuts and combine.
5. Next add in the 1 1/4 cup of milk
6. Give it a good mix to combine, put the lid on and place it in the fridge overnight.
In the morning …
- Put a small pot of water on to boil
- Place the jar right into the pot and heat it up for a couple of minutes.
- Once it’s hot enough for your liking remove the jar from the water and your going to add the 1 TBSP of almond butter into the mixture.
- Give it a good mix and you can add 1/3 cup fresh chopped fruit or berries into it as well if you like. I do! 🙂
- Eat it right from the jar or transfer it into a bowl.
ENJOY your healthy breakfast! 🙂
These muffins are really tasty and very easy to make! They are also pretty fast to whip up which is a total bonus! I’m usually baking with my kids so I try to keep recipes pretty simple and fast to make. My new baking buddy is my 5 year old who is pretty darn good at it actually. She is also now at an age where she understands that mommy doesn’t use any animal ingredient’s, so we are always putting in alternatives into our recipes. She even knew that we used flax in this recipe instead of eggs. I guess kids do pay attention to their parents!
Apple Cinnamon Muffins
- 2 cups spelt flour or brown rice flour
- 1/3 cup cane or sugar of your preference
- 1 tbsp ground flax (flax meal)
- 3 tbsp of water
- 1 cup almond milk
- Pinch of Himalayan salt
- Cinnamon to taste
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups peeled & chopped apples ( I use Gala )
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, coconut oil or veggie oil
(Optional) Topping: 1 tbsp of cane sugar mixed with 1/2 -1 tsp of cinnamon
Preheat oven to 400 F. In a little bowl put the 1 tbsp of the flax meal (ground flax) and add 3 tbsp of water to it. Mix & let stand for a few minutes. Cream together the sugar and butter. Add in the flax and mix well. In a large bowl add the spelt flour, salt, baking powder and cinnamon. Mix well. Add wet ingredients to the flour mixture and mix well. Add in the chopped apples and give it a quick mix. Line your muffin tray with paper liners and fill them up with the yummy mixture. If you’re using the topping then sprinkle a touch of it on each muffin. Pop them into the oven and bake them for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
*Makes 1 dozen muffins*