Happy Saturday! Fall has arrived and the weather is quickly changing in my neck of the woods. The air is crisp and it’s officially cozy warm sweater weather! The evening gets pretty darn chilly now too. I get inspiration this time of year and then I try creating some healthy seasonal recipe options. I’m all about trying to create healthy treats at home instead of buying store bought goods whenever possible.
I really like to try new recipes and creating healthy versions of some of our favourite meals. I still want to enjoy a sweet treat every once in a while but I still want to stay within my wellness goals.
The holiday season is upon us and Thanksgiving is around the corner. It’s my favourite time of year because it’s a time to reflect on all the blessings we have in our lives. I feel so grateful for the life I have created! I also love the warm and cozy dishes that come along with the fall/autumn season too. I will be making my Pineapple Upside-Down Cake this year for my family celebration. It’s comforting and delicious. It’s always a hit every time I make it!
Today I’m sharing my super yummy and easy to make Pineapple Upside-Down Cake recipe with you all. I love creating healthy versions of some classic recipes. I wanted to feel good about bringing this dessert to a family get together because it’s healthy and very delicious at the same time. I want my family to enjoy a sweet treat without loading them full of unhealthy and unpronounceable ingredients.
In order to sweeten the cake you can use a variety of options. I like using Date or Coconut sugar the best. If I can’t find it at the store I will buy whatever options are available to me. I sometimes have to buy cane sugar because nothing else is available. I just recommend you trying the best you can to find the healthiest options. Everything can’t always be perfect in life and we just have to accept that and not feel guilt around it. I also remind people that although we might personally enjoy treats with little or no sugar in it other people maynot. If you decide to share baked goods with others then please add the recommended amount of sugar. I feel like compared to other recipes or store bought cakes I’ve already cut down on the sugar considerably. You want other people to really enjoy it fully! When spending time with friends and family I always try and restrict a little less in order for everyone to enjoy the meal to the fullest. Time together building memories and truly enjoying the food is most important.
I also wanted to create a recipe that included easy to find ingredients as always. You guys know I’m all about keeping things fuss free! I wanted everyone to be able to find everything they needed at any local grocery store or market. Things like canned pineapple is pretty cheap to buy and works perfectly! Fresh pineapple can sometimes be quite costly depending on where you live. I didn’t want the cost of the cake to be too high overall so I stuck with staple pantry ingredients. We don’t need to break the bank in order to create a homemade treat! A simple, homemade, healthy and comforting cake was my goal. I hope you enjoy it as much as my family and I do!
PINEAPPLE UPSIDE-DOWN CAKE
⁃ 1/4 cup apple sauce
⁃ 1/3 cup Brown sugar or Maple Sugar
⁃ Pineapple slices
⁃ 1/2 cup Soy Milk + 2 Tbsp.
⁃ 1 tsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
⁃ 1/4 pineapple juice
⁃ 1/2 cup apple sauce
⁃ 1 tsp. Pure Vanilla extract
⁃ 1/3 – 1/2 cup sugar of choice (I use coconut or date sugar most of the time)
⁃ 1 1/2 cups flour of choice (I use brown rice or oat flour)
⁃ 1 1/2 tsp. Baking powder
⁃ 1 flax egg = 1 Tbsp. Flax meal & 3 Tbsp. Water. Combine, set aside and allow to thicken.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F
2. Make the topping and add to the bottom of a 9 inch round baking pan. Arrange pineapple slices around the pan as well.
3. Next you’re going to make your flax egg. Add 1 tablespoon of flaxseed meal into a small bowl and 3 tablespoons of warm water. Combine well and set aside to thicken up.
4. Next add the milk,apple cider, pure vanilla extract, sugar and applesauce. Mix well.
5. Next add the flax egg to the wet ingredients and combine it well.
6. Now in a large bowl combine all your dry ingredients be sure to mix it well.
7. Transfer all the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and combine all the ingredients.
8. Pour over the pineapple rings in the pan evenly distribute the batter out.
9. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes in a 350°F oven.
10. Once it’s baked allowed to completely cool before transferring to a plate or serving dish. Once it’s cooled you can place a plate on top of the pan and flip it over. The cake should slide out easily if you have a nonstick pan if not you may have to pre-oil your pan in order to ensure the cake can be removed easily.
I will include the video version of this yummy cake! If you haven’t already Subscribed to my YouTube channel then please consider doing so now. That way you don’t miss any upcoming cozy & comforting recipes upcoming! Thank you for the support and love on the channel!