One of my favorite comfort foods that I grew up with is Fava Beans! I always have a bag of frozen green fava beans in my freezer because it’s a great fast dish to whip up. This is my go to meal when I have no idea what’s for dinner! Traditionally Portuguese sausage is cooked with the fava beans but because I make mine vegan I omit that. They do however have Vegan sausages on the market these days and you could add one to this dish if desired. If you’re adding it then cut it up and add it to the onion and garlic saute. With or without I think this dish is fantastic!
Here’s the super easy recipe …
- Garlic, I use a lot 🙂 … like 5 cloves minced but you can use however many you like
- 1/3 cup chopped white onion
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Sprinkling of chili flakes
- 1 tbsp of pureed hot red pepper paste (optional)
- 1 bag of frozen green Fava Beans
- Add desired amount of paprika, Himalayan salt, & black pepper
- 1 tbsp of dry oregano, I dry my oregano from the garden & use it all winter long 🙂
- 5 cups of liquid (water, veggie broth or you can combine both)
- 1/3-1/2 cup red wine (optional)
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- In a large pot with olive oil add the onion and saute
- Add in garlic, chili flakes & red pepper puree if you’re using it
- Toss in the bag of frozen fava beans
- Give it a mix
- Add liquid and spices and dry oregano
- Add in wine if you’re using it
- Cook at a medium heat for about 30 minutes covered, stirring from time to time
- Adjust seasoning and see if you need more salt or pepper
- Throw in the fresh parsley for the last 5 minutes of cooking
- Serve with Bread for those who enjoy to dip it into the yummy sauce!
Note: I prefer my fava beans not to be too over done! If you prefer them to have a softer texture then cook an additional 10 minutes or so. Give one a try at the 30 minute mark and see if the texture works for you.