I grew up eating collards and every year I grow them in my vegetable garden. They are incredibly healthy and I use them a lot in my soups. I also really enjoy using them to make healthy wraps instead of using a tortilla. Our waist lines will thank us for these small healthy conscious choices that we make!!! You can eat the collards raw if your using small leaves. Mine were large and a bit tough so I popped mine into boiling salted water for just a few seconds just to soften them slightly. Once I remove them from the water I pat them dry with paper towel or a clean tea towel. You can eat them wrapped up with veggies and add optional sautéed tofu strips if desired. I like to add homemade garlic Dijon dressing to them sometimes just to give them some extra flavor. 🙂
What you will need:
- Washed Collard leaves, as many as you need. Small leaves can be used for one wrap. The larger leaves can be cut in half and you can make two wraps with them.
- Chopped/Julienne veggies of choice. I like adding carrot, cucumber, sprouts and bell peppers to mine.
- small bowl
- Serving dish or plate
- 1 tsp. natural garlic Dijon mustard
- 2-3 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 3-4 tbsp. olive oil
- black pepper, to taste
- pot with water and a dash of Himalayan salt to it
- Place pot of water on to boil with the salt.
- Make the dressing by adding the garlic Dijon mustard to a small bowl, then whisk in the apple cider vinegar and olive oil. Add desired amount of pepper and give it another mix.
- Chop/Julienne your veggies of choice.
- Add the collard leaves to the pot of boiling water for just a few seconds to soften slightly.
- Remove the collard leaves and pat dry with paper towel or a clean tea towel. Allow them to cool before assembling your wraps.
- Once cooled add the collard leaves on a time to a plate or cutting board so you can start filling your wraps. Add a little of each vegetable of choice. If your going to be eating these wraps right away then you can add a drizzle of the dressing in the wrap before you close it up. If you’re not eating them right away then I suggest you just place the dressing on the side. You can add the dressing to them later or else you will have soggy wraps!
- Transfer each wrap to a serving dish or plate.
That’s it! So easy and fast to make and collards provide you will incredible health benefits!