My kids LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Banana Vegan Chip Muffins!!! I have many recipes that I use but this recipe is their favourite one! It’s very fast to make and they taste super yummy and moist. It’s loaded with ground flax seeds (flaxmeal) and even my very picky 6-year-old gives these muffins the thumbs up. By the way she doesn’t even like bananas and eats these muffins! I make these muffins and almost all my baking period with brown rice flour. It has many health benefits such as its rich in fiber, manganese, selenium, zinc, calcium and B vitamins. I also add healthy oats to these muffins but it would work with wheat germ as well. These muffins are made so often that when we don’t have them the kids ask me “mommy where are the muffins???” LOL I’ve also made them without the vegan chocolate chips and they are still super good! I add in the chips to make the kids happy! I do however sometimes only add in 1/4 cup of them instead of the 1/3 cup and they actually notice! Then they ask me why there are less vegan chips in the batch of muffins when that happens. Sheesh! This is why I put 1/3 cup in the recipe below! I also added a picture of them cooling off on the wire baking rack but sadly it’s not the greatest picture. Oh well you get the idea …
Banana Vegan Chip Muffins
- 3 Bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cup coconut oil or oil of choice
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 TBSP ground flax (flaxmeal)
- 6 TBSP water
- 1/2 cup oats or wheat germ
- 1/4 cup sucanat sugar or other sugar of choice
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 2 tsp aluminum free baking powder
- 3/4 cup almond milk (I use unsweetened)
- 1/3 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 2 muffin tins
- paper muffin liners
- 2 medium-sized bowls
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- Place 3 TBSP of flaxmeal in a small bowl add add the 6 TBSP water to it. Mix well and set aside for a few minutes.
- With a fork mash 3 ripe bananas in a medium-sized bowl.
- add 1 tsp vanilla, 1/4 cup oil and 1/4 cup sugar to banana mixture. You can add more sugar if you like sweeter muffins but I think 1/4 cup is enough for us.
- In another medium-sized bowl add the 3/4 cup brown rice flour and oats.
- Add the baking powder to the flour mixture and combine well.
- Add the flaxmeal mixture into the wet ingredients and mix well.
- Next add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Now add the 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk. Combine.
- Toss in the vegan chips and give it another mix.
- Line 1 12 muffin baking tin with paper liners and fill them half way for medium-sized muffins. Grab another muffin tin and place 4 more paper liners in it. Fill those suckers up too! You could also just do 12 larger muffins and bake them for 25-27 minutes. We prefer medium-sized muffins however.
- Pop them into a 400 F oven for 23-25 minutes.
- Once they are baked I let them cool off inside the tins for about 5 minutes. Then I transfer them to a wire baking rack and let them cool completely before placing them into a air tight container.
*Makes 16 medium-sized muffins or 12 large muffins*