Here is my favourite recipe for healthy oat bars! I love this recipe that I came up with because it’s made with healthy dates and prunes. Dates have iron, calcium and fiber in them as well as countless other healthy benefits. Prunes also have fiber in them as well as vitamin C, A, K and they are said to be a good anti colorectal cancer food choice. I really like how the dates and prunes act as a sweetening agent in the recipe! I’ve added the option of adding pure maple syrup to them as well if desired. I’ve made them with and without the maple syrup and both ways taste really good to me. The maple syrup adds a bit of extra sweetness and of course a tasty kick to the bars though. I love oat bars because they are easy to make and can be a great snack to eat on the go! Another bonus is that this recipe is flour free too!
|**The bars do have almonds in them but you can make them nut free if allergies are a concern. **
Healthy Oat Bars
- 2 Cups Gluten Free Oats
- 1 TBSP Cinnamon
- 3/4 Cup Cranberries or other dried sulfate free fruit of choice
- 3 TBSP Flaxmeal
- 1/2 cup finely chopped almonds
- 1/2 tsp – 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 TBSP Pure Maple Syrup (optional)
- 12 Dates (I soak mine over night to make them easier
- 6 Prunes
- 1/3 cup warm water
- 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds or you can substitute another seed
You will also need these simple items …
- Food Prosser or high-powered blender
- You will need a baking pan. Depth will depend on how thick you want your bars to be.
- Parchment paper to line your baking dish or coconut oil to oil your dish with.
- Preheat oven to 350
- In a food processor add the dates and prunes
- Add 1/3 cup warm water into the food processor and process until smooth. Add more water if needed until it’s well combined. Also add the vanilla extract and combine all ingredients well.
- In a large bowl add the oats, cinnamon, pumpkin seeds and flaxmeal.
- Add the cranberries or other dry fruit of choice & finely chopped almonds to dry mixture. Combine well.
- Add the date & prune mixture into the dry ingredients. Make sure to mix everything up well.
- If you’re adding in the maple syrup then toss it in now and combine well.
- Line your baking pan with parchment paper or oil it well
- Add the mixture to the baking pan and even it out well.
- Bake for 3o minutes
*Let rest until cooled off before cutting into bars*
Enjoy them! I know I do & they don’t last long at all! 🙂